What is ProRes RAW?
Captured in ProRes RAW
Explore some of the recent footage captured using Atomos devices recording ProRes RAW. No matter whether you’re using a mirrorless DSLR or the latest professional video cameras, ProRes RAW allows you to push creativity and increase the efficiency of your workflow. Check out some recent videos below.
Understanding ProRes RAW
As cameras have evolved in their sensor size and are often limited with internal recording, ProRes RAW allows users to maximise the capture quality but additionally increases resolution, frame rate and bit-depth whilst maintaining a small file size. This therefore allows for enhanced recording time and shortened data transfer times. As well as this, ProRes RAW benefits content creators by providing enriched and enhanced metadata for exposure, white balance, ISO, shutter speed/angle and lens information such as iris and focal length.
File sizes for ProRes RAW are available at two compression levels: Apple ProRes RAW and Apple ProRes RAW HQ. Both achieve excellent preservation of RAW video content, with additional quality available at the higher data rate of Apple ProRes RAW HQ.
All of Atomos’ on camera monitor-recorders provide the ability to capture ProRes RAW via either HDMI and/or SDI. Whilst also including options for conversion to video standards, allowing users to choose their preferred output video signal for use with other equipment.
Why ProRes RAW?
The ProRes RAW advantage
You’ve seen the video and heard the specs, but what does that really mean?
- ProRes RAW is a universal codec increasingly adopted by more than 20 different cameras from leading Japanese manufacturers.
- Increase in bit depth – 12-bit without the overhead of ProRes 4444 XQ plus the ability to export ProRes 444 and other codecs from the ProRes RAW file.
- Maintain original pristine sensel data meaning that the key elements of better pixels are capture: High Dynamic Range, Wide Colour Gamut, Bit Depth and Resolution.
- Bypass in-camera compression and limitations on resolution, frame rate and depth, recording up to 4k 120p and 2k 240p.
- ProRes RAW is scalable up to 8K, 16-bit.
- Provides greater latitude for post production and grading.
- Enhance Codec efficiency – quality based vs target bit rate allows for variable bit rate.
- Reduced files sizes vs CDNG and 4444 Video based codecs. Increased stream count.
- Reduced transcoding – only make destructive decisions on export.
- Superior performance in both playback and rendering.
The ProRes RAW ecosystem
Apple ProRes RAW is firmly established as the standard for RAW workflows, with 30 HDMI and SDI cameras from brands such as Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, Z-Cam, Olympus, Fujifilm and Sigma already announced or shipping. The variety of camera’s on offer means there is a ProRes RAW camera to suit all applications, whether it’s the incredibly popular and versatile Sony Alpha 7S III, the well-priced Sigma fp or the production workhorses in Sony’s FS series, Canon’s C300/C500 and Panasonic’s EVA1 models the range is already strong with more cameras being announced every month.
|Canon||EOS C300 II|
|Z CAM||Z CAM E2|
|Z CAM E2C|
|Z CAM E2-S6|
|Z CAM E2-M4|
|Z CAM E2-F6|
|Z CAM E2-F8|
|Olympus||OM-D E-M1 MARK III|
Unleash the world’s best cameras
ProRes RAW preserves the deepest black to the brightest white and every color imaginable from your camera’s sensor. No matter whether you love Canon, Nikon, Panasonic or Sony, connect your Atomos and set your RAW creativity free!
CAPTURE TO POST
Edit, Grade and Deliver on Mac
Start with the ultimate in preservation of the captured pixel – ProRes RAW. Instantly available in the world’s most advanced editing and color grading suite – Final Cut Pro. Add the speed of the world’s most powerful Macs – Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and iMac Pro. Monitor HDR on your Atomos, it’s the most delicious recipe for creative video.