November 14th 2023
AtomOS 11.03.00 Firmware Release Notes
Atomos recommends that your Ninja is plugged into mains power before commencing the firmware update.
- Insert a compatible, formatted SSD into the Docking Station.
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy the ATOMNJA.FW file to the root directory of the SSD.
- Eject the SSD according to operating system guidelines.
- Insert the SSD into the Ninja.
- If you have an Atomos Connect accessory, ensure this is connected to your device before powering on, as the module firmware will also need to be updated as part of this FW release.
- Power on the Ninja and the firmware update process will begin automatically.
Note: If your Ninja is already powered on, you will be prompted to perform the firmware update when a drive containing new firmware is inserted.
- Once the update is complete, your Ninja will power itself down.
- Power your Ninja back on and the device will automatically start updating the Atomos Connect accessory.
- To verify if the firmware update was successfully completed, navigate to the main menu and scroll to the info tab.
Note: Once firmware 11.03.00 is successfully installed on your Ninja, the unit may reboot to update the Atomos Connect firmware. Do not interrupt the firmware installation process.
Atomos SegmentPro is another powerful new tool exclusive to our completely redesigned AtomOS 11 operating system. It allows users to segment/split long recordings into user-defined chunks, adding even more flexibility to the production workflow. The segmenting can be defined by setting a custom file size limit, or also a timer – all without dropping a frame.
- To enable SegmentPro, scroll over to the new Segment tab in your device's main menu.
- In there, enable SegmentPro by tapping on the Enable/Disable radio button.
- Next, select the chunking method you'd like to use.
- Split once the user-defined file size limit is reached. Example: Split a continuous recording into a new clip, every time the previously configured 10 GB limit is reached.
- Split after a user-defined time/duration limit elapses. Example: Split a continuous recording in 10-minute intervals.
- Now, when you press the record button, your recordings will be automatically split into chunks, based on the parameters you've previously selected.
Compatible Recording Formats
- ProRes RAW
- SegmentPro is currently only available for offline and C2C 'single' recording scenarios. It is not available when the device is connected to an AtomX Cast, in its dedicated Cast mode, or when C2C is configured in Dual Recording C2C mode.
- C2C Progressive uploads will be disabled whilst SegmentPro is active, and the files will start to upload on stop only.
- Please note that all functions in the Segment tab get greyed out when your device is configured for C2C via Atomos Cloud Studio. You can quickly disconnect from the Atomos Cloud by navigating to the Connect tab and pressing the Connect button, which then unlocks the SegmentPro feature again.
- When SegmentPro is enabled, the file naming follows the user selected file naming scheme, but adds an extra 'Segment Suffix' to the filename.
- The maximum number of segments for a single, otherwise uninterrupted recording is 99. When segment 99 is getting recorded, it will ignore the previously configured chunking parameters, and the device will continue recording uninterruptedly until the user manually stops the recording.
- The shortest chunking duration is 1 minute, and the minimum file size limit for chunks is 1 GB.
Bug Fixes & Minor Changes
Along with the implementation of Atomos SegmentPro, 11.03.00 also includes various bug fixes and less obvious changes.
- Resolved an issue that resulted in frame drops/split files when recording 4Kp60 clips in C2C mode.
- Resolved an issue where clips in the DCI aspect ratio (17:9) were incorrectly cropped to 16:9 in the C2C single record mode.
Known Limitations to be resolved in future releases
- It may take up to 10 seconds for Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections to re-established when users switch between record and playback mode. Please allow the system time to automatically reconnect to your network.
- After a reboot, only start recording in C2C mode once your device is fully connected to the internet (this may take up to 10 seconds). If you don’t wait for the connection to establish, you might end up with duplicate uploads in your C2C destination folder.
- In the RAW + Proxy C2C mode, recording is disabled if the device is being fed a 2Kp59.94 RAW feed from a Sony FX9.
- When switching into C2C mode, the monitoring image might momentarily be displayed with a magenta tint; however, it reverts to the original monitor color shortly after.
- In RemoteView mode, you may experience UI freezes after switching frame rates mid-transmission. We recommend sticking to a single frame rate while using RemoteView.
- When switching to a DCI 4K resolution with H.265 selected as the recording format, RemoteView might not work as expected. We recommend sticking to 16:9 when selecting H.265 as the record format in RemoteView mode.
- When outputting 720p to other devices via HDMI/SDI, there's a chance that image artifacts will be present on the receiving end.
- When playing back an H.265 clip that was recorded at 720p50 & 720p59.94, the Zoom and Waveform monitoring functions are disabled.
- Network Record Control is not available when H.265 is selected as the record format.
- Live Streaming is only available when using standard YCC 422 video inputs, and when the record codec is set to either ProRes or DNx. If ProRes RAW or H.265 are selected as the record codec, streaming isn't available.
- If the user boots into ProRes RAW recording mode with a YCC SDI Input, the monitoring image may be incorrect. Monitoring and Recording whilst outputting a RAW signal to the Ninja in ProRes RAW mode will work as expected.
- If switching between different camera models whilst HDMI Compatibility mode is selected, ensure that you reboot the Ninja before connecting a new camera.
- Performance may be sluggish when using two AtomRemote apps connected to a single Atomos Connect. Please only pair one AtomRemote app per device.
- When shooting in the DCI aspect ratio with dual record enabled, the proxy files are cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio.